If the difficulty in falling asleep and sleep through the night is an issue for you, will be important to check personal habits before sleep, since in most cases a few changes in routine can significantly improve transient insomnia. Despite the changes, if insomnia persists you should consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Here are some suggestions that applied to your routine will significantly improve sleep hygiene:
- Establish regular sleep schedule going to bed and waking up every day at the same time.
- Avoid stimulants such as alcohol, nicotine and caffeine, especially before bedtime because they can aggravate insomnia and degrade the quality of sleep.
- Try not to make large and copious meals late at night and leave a prudent time between dinner and bedtime.
- Make physical activity throughout the day contributes to better rest at night. However, if you choose to do the activity during the last hours in the afternoon must do in a moderate way for not have the opposite effect.
- Maintain bedtime relaxing activities like reading, listening to music or take a nice hot bath and avoid any stressful activity.
- Maintain adequate sleeping conditions and a pleasant environment (good ventilation, suitable temperature, without light or noise).
- Sleep long enough to feel rested the next day. Avoid taking long afternoon naps.